So, what is shabu shabu? Many people are clueless about different hot pots that are very significant Japanese delicacies. However, it is essential to know that you can prepare a hot pot party with ingredients that are already in your fridge and treat many with exquisite shabu shabu.
Shabu shabu is a hot pot dish that started in Osaka, Japan, in the 1950s and quickly became popular all over the country. The name is pronounced shah-boo shah-boo, and it signifies the sound the ingredients create when you swish them while eating. It is made with meat and vegetables that are cooked in a broth that is called kombu dashi.
Along with hot pots such as yudofu, oden, nabemono, mizutaki, and sukiyaki, shabu shabu takes place as one of the most beloved dishes. It is usually served with two dipping sauces – sesame sauce and ponzu. The recipe can vary across Japan, but the core ingredients always stay the same. In this article, you will learn more about this authentic dish and how it’s prepared.
What Makes Shabu Shabu Special?
The dish is easy to prepare and very healthy. It wouldn’t take you more than ten minutes to boil the broth and chop the meat and vegetables. It isn’t expensive to prepare, either. All of the ingredients you need can already be found in your home.
In Japan, it is usually prepared for dinner parties since it is a perfect and delicious option. Unlike other hot pot recipes where one has to cook all ingredients together before serving, with this dish, the ingredients are served raw and then cooked tableside.
The most popular time of the year for this Japanese delicacy is winter. There are also summer versions that are called rei shabu (chilled shabu shabu) and hiyashi shabu.
It should be prepared in a donabe, which is a special Japanese earthenware pot. Individuals who don’t have one can still cook in a Dutch oven or a large pot. It is significant to use pots that can keep contents warm for a very long time.
What Do You Need To Cook Shabu Shabu?
Cooking this tasty and unique dish isn’t difficult or tedious. First, you should check whether you have all that is needed. If there is something missing, a trip to the local Asian store would be a simple solution. Here is a chart of ingredients and quantities.
|Kombu (dried kelp)||1|
|Dry udon noodles||3 oz/90 g|
|Napa cabbage||8 leaves|
|Long green onion (Tokyo negi)||1|
|Shimeji mushrooms||100 g|
|Shiitake mushrooms||65 g|
|Medium-firm tofu||1 package|
|Sliced beef||140 g per person|
Here Are the Cooking Instructions
Follow our steps when making shabu shabu so as to make sure that everything combines into a mouth-watering and appetizing hot pot dish. Here are all the steps in the recipe:
- Step 1 – Fill any large pot or your donabe with water. Put the kombu to soak for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 – The time you have while the kombu soaks should be used to prepare the udon noodles according to the instructions on the package. After you boil them, place them in ice water. After they have cooled a bit, put them on a plate and set them aside.
- Step 3 – The cabbage leaves have to be cut into 2-inch pieces. Then slice each piece in half.
- Step 4 – The same should be applied to shungiku. Every piece should be about 2-inches.
- Step 5 – Cut the Tokyo negi but use only the white part. It would be best to cut diagonally. You can use your sashimi knife if you want to cut with ease.
- Step 6 – Cut into small pieces mushrooms, carrots, tofu, and green onions.
- Step 7 – Next, the daikon first has to be peeled and then grated.
- Step 8 – Place thinly sliced beef on one plate.
- Step 9 – Put your donabe on the burner. All the ingredients that you have chopped should be placed on the table next to the donabe.
- Step 10 – The water with the kombu should be brought to a simmer after it boils. However, before the broth boils, take out the kombu. Then put all the ingredients like tofu, shungiku, carrots, mushrooms, and negi in the broth. Cover the pot for ten minutes, and then invite everyone to eat the dish.
Everyone should use their chopsticks to eat the shabu shabu. Each person would place their ingredients in the pot and cook it. The vegetables, like cabbage and carrots, require about 3 minutes. Thinly sliced meat will take only 30 seconds to cook.
Ready to Enjoy Shabu Shabu?
If you are craving a unique and delicious meal, shabu shabu is the perfect dish for you. It can taste even better than the best ramen on Amazon. First and foremost, it contains all the nutritious ingredients, while the broth used to prepare it is incredibly healthy. The pleasure of swishing ingredients and creating appetizing sounds, along with enjoying unique flavors, makes the experience outstanding.